Re: canada.com Story. iffy habitat-woods eddies. locals reveal?

Subject: Re: canada.com Story. iffy habitat-woods eddies. locals reveal?
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:30 pm (PDT)

> when i canoe thru rivers with my headworn DSM mics, should i monitor the
> recording with shure e500 earbuds so i can hear the environs at mach
> amplification? hear farther? worth it? trouble with this idea?

help to monitor and will my ears wear out listening at that volume for
> hours? i lean towards getting the earbuds.

Hi Rip,

As a long-time user of the DSMs I *never* monitor, I set my levels and then
listen. To the extent the gear permits what I hear is what I get, a blessin=
of the binaural-like omni setup.

Fwiw this has only burned me once in 10 years of use. :)  And of course if
your gear monitors in REC-PAUSE you still have to be just as careful.

I believe that I hear the environment better unamplified and it's certainly
less fatiguing -- and there's no risk of feedback/noise getting into the
recording...

True, you can use the amplification to "reach" further, but I find that sor=
of listening the *most* fatiguing, and frankly the noise floor of the DSMs
is high enough that I don't think you'd get a lot of extra "view" this
way...

But of course your mileage may vary...!

If you already own earbuds there's no harm in taking them and trying both
for a few hours.

Btw if you don't already own the Shure's I love my Etymotic 4's! Most
accurate and detailed phones (ear- or head-) I've owned.  Only downside is
the microphonic cable. You can get a nice "kit" that lets you adapt from 4P
to 4S (or vice versa, I think it's that way) for when you're using a
portable with a relatively weak headphone amp -- and when you're using a
beefier amp and want to eek out an extra 2% of performance.

 best,
  aaron

--

  quietamerican.org