Re: canada.com Story

Subject: Re: canada.com Story
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:05 am (PDT)
Posted by: "Rich Peet"

> Let me know if you find a Lat/Lon on this location.
> In my travels of the pan handle I found nothing that I would consider
> prime habitat for this bird.  I would love to check out the site the
> next time I am in the area.

It's a pretty large river swamp, lots of info on the web. It's on one
end of the distribution area for Pine Barrens Treefrogs in Florida and
Alabama. Or at least where they have been found so far. I've been in the
area, but not out in the swamp by boat, and I was only paying attention
to frogs. It's a large area, not a site as such. Since it continues up
into Alabama on a continuous basis I'd look up there too. Wildlife does
not care about our arbitrary boundaries.

Note that the Pine Barrens Treefrogs were found only relatively recently
in spite of lots of reasearchers doing work in the area. And they are on
a good part of the panhandle. When I was over there I found Pine Barrens
Treefrogs well outside of the then known area. If it was closer to me I
could probably greatly expand their known range. I am on the lookout for
them in Georgia and have a few hopeful leads to follow.

As far as their actual research area that's a limited part of the river
swamp and is not closed off. But supposedly if you wander into their
area someone will approach you and try and talk you into looking
elsewhere. Run the length of the river in a canoe like you are looking
and I bet you will know where they are working.

The website being passed around has suggestions for birders as to where
to look without interfering with their research.

 From the samples I've listened to they could use some help in making
decent recordings.