Re: MKH20/AT3032 comparisons

Subject: Re: MKH20/AT3032 comparisons
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Tue Sep 5, 2006 12:15 pm (PDT)
Walt Knapp wrote:

> I'm eventually wanting to do some boundary experiments with curved
> surfaces. Crown did a experimental dish, and I have one of those.
> Talked for a while with one of the people working on those experiments
> and he was encouraging. Crown did not see a commercial value in
> continuing down that route so there is probably more to discover
> there.
>
> Think of a SASS like setup that uses two of Crown's dish designs. Or
> something like that. I've no idea what would come out of that. I keep
> a lookout for suitable dishes, it's a spherical dish instead of a
> parabolic, though that's probably something to experiment with too.

I'm having a hard time visualizing it from your description alone, but
would like to know more.

I've made a couple brief flirtations with smaller curved structures
with the idea of replicating head-like responses. Both were awkward to
construct and sounded rather odd to me. One of them seriously distorted
sound source localization on certain bird calls but not other sounds; I
abandoned that rig without ever trying to figure out what caused the
distortion. These doomed rigs were with forward-facing omnis mounted on
opposite sides of rounded structures -- at least rounded toward the
front.

Since then, I've wondered what the effect might be of going the other
way, with a structure that is rounded BEHIND the mics, like the back of
the head, and open in the front. Just an idle curiosity that I haven't
yet pursued...

Curt Olson