Re: MKH20/AT3032 comparisons (matching mics)

Subject: Re: MKH20/AT3032 comparisons (matching mics)
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sun Sep 3, 2006 10:54 am (PDT)
 <snip snip>.
> >Have we had anything out of AT as to how there could be such a
> >difference? Is the low noise consistent across all examples of
AT3032's...

> .... One recordist, Allan Haighton, mentioned he felt his pair could
be better matched.

When purchasing AT3032s, what is the best way to assure ending up with
a fairly well matched pair?

When I bought my NT1As, I walked into the store, asked if they had a
pair with sequential serial numbers, they did so I bought them, and I
have never noticed any big difference between the two.

For AT3032s, I inquired with one supplier if they could provide me two
with seqential serial numbers, but they said they couldn't because the
numbers were not printed on the outside of the sealed box.  I was
thinking of arranging to buy three or four, keep the two lowest-noise
and best-matched two and return the others.  My challenge would be
determining which two were best matched. Any suggestions on how I
would go about comparing them in my fairly noisy urban home?  Or any
suggestions on how to find someone qualified to do the necessary testing?

John Hartog