Re: MKH20/AT3032 comparisons

Subject: Re: MKH20/AT3032 comparisons
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Sep 5, 2006 9:54 am (PDT)
Posted by: "Curt Olson"

> Thankfully over the last couple years I've been able to slow down
> enough to do some serious "tinkering in the garage" with various stereo
> mic rigs in order to better understand what really happens with this or
> that type of array. And of course it's all been based on concepts that
> have been out there for decades. There are only so many ways to make
> stereo. It shouldn't surprise anyone that similar ideas turn up again
> and again in one form or another. I figure that truly original
> "breakthrough" thoughts are extremely rare, and I certainly haven't had
> any on this subject. But I think I understand much better what I'm
> hearing and doing now than I did a few years ago.

I'm eventually wanting to do some boundary experiments with curved
surfaces. Crown did a experimental dish, and I have one of those. Talked
for a while with one of the people working on those experiments and he
was encouraging. Crown did not see a commercial value in continuing down
that route so there is probably more to discover there.

Think of a SASS like setup that uses two of Crown's dish designs. Or
something like that. I've no idea what would come out of that. I keep a
lookout for suitable dishes, it's a spherical dish instead of a
parabolic, though that's probably something to experiment with too.