Re: New noisy mic amps!

Subject: Re: New noisy mic amps!
From: "stoatwizard" stoatwizard
Date: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 pm (PDT)
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
> considering the PIP restrictions.  I just don't
> want people  to get the idea that there's the
> "flaw, " in Hi-MD makes it worse than old MD or
> other $<350 recorders. In side by side tests, my

In practice, you _are_ often better off with an old MD if you are using
PiP. My OKMII binaurals do not work right with my Sony HiMD, they were
fine with my old Kenwood MD. This probably isn't an issue for nature
recordists who are usually outboard powering their mics, either running
48V phantom or something like the Senn K6 series. Or a Telinga
parabola - mine has a 3.5mm jack but it certainly doesn't run off PiP.

Nature recordists have got a much better deal with HiMD compared to
older MD designs as the mic inputs suit high-output phantom powered
capacitor mikes better than the noisier older MD inputs. Phonographers
and other field recordists in louder soundfields have been severely
shortchanged by HiMD, as they now have to select their mikes carefully
or wield outboard battery boxes which don't help unobtrusive urban
recordings at all. The lower noise of the new inputs is no good to them
if their PiP mikes sound rotten because they are starved of current
losing gain, clarity  and overload margin!