Re: Hydrophones

Subject: Re: Hydrophones
From: "Kent Sparling" kentsparling
Date: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:31 pm (PDT)
hi danny:

i was EXTREMELY disappointed after purchasing a low-cost hydrophone
called the 'dolphin ear',
(about US$300) - it was very poorly made - in fact i could have
cooked up a better version
using off-the-shelf piezo contact mic elements and some hobby-store
styrene and silver spray paint
keep clear of the 'dolphin ear' unless things have really changed

after that i went over to the scientific community and am very, very
pleased with my
cetacean research technology C54XR - the complete opposite of the
'dolphin ear' -
beautifully made, elegant, rugged and professional, and great
personal service from the company to boot
here's a link:

http://www.cetaceanresearch.com/hydrophones/c54xr-hydrophone/index.html

i'm recording into a nagra V with the hydrophone on one channel and
an 'above water' mic on the other channel,
and my application is sound for film, not research, but the results
have been excellent for the past three years

best of luck
kent