Re: Frogs and mysterious other

Subject: Re: Frogs and mysterious other
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Aug 3, 2006 11:05 pm (PDT)
At 1:29 AM +0000 8/4/06, John Hartog wrote:
re:
>edit peaks, apply EQ and amplify it all in a single digital
>generation when making your
>submaster.... I'm not sure if I can do all that in only
>one generation using Audition alone. Normally, I open my source
>16/44.1 file, select the section I want to use, save that as 32/44.1
>and go on with editing without thinking much about how many digital
>generations have passed.

Your summary is better than the original.

I've noticed this tendency with Audition too.  Its certainly better
than working strictly in 16 bits. I wonder if a sequence like this
could be a work-around: Right after importing, do the volume
automation, insert Eqium for EQ, adjust the mixer levels so the peaks
are hitting less than -.3dB, mix-out the segment as 32/44.1 file,
save a copy of your Audition session for a record of the settings,
and import the mix back into Audition.  You should be able to the
rest, using real-time plugs from that 2nd generation "submaster."

Another important mixing factor (especially because EQ is volume
dependent) is to establish a reference listening level. It can help
to determine some knob settings because we often have to go back and
forth between working on low level field recordings and robust
submasters.

In Logic I set my Master output volume at from -15 dB to -10dB when I
work with robust submasters to make them closer to normal program
level.  My power amp is set to produce a comfortable listening level
at this range which I leave fixed. In Logic Audio, the input levels
and submix levels still show the "true" saturation even when the
Master (really, "Monitior") Level is not set at unity. This really
helps get the peaks under control.  Maybe someone with Audition can
share some tips about their monitoring scheme(s)?

I'll be gone for a few days. I'll catch up with the discussions later
next week. Rob D.