Re: Frogs and mysterious other/mastering

Subject: Re: Frogs and mysterious other/mastering
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Aug 3, 2006 11:03 pm (PDT)
At 1:50 AM +0000 8/4/06, Danny Meltzer wrote:
>  The L3 and its
>cousins the L2 and L1 are all really invisible sounding to my ears,

I agree that multiband compressors like L1 can be a lot of fun with
"punchy" sounds like lightning to make them seem louder, but, it does
color a mix.  They are handy plugs-- especially for program material
that will be competing with other sounds.  I've used it a number of
times for radio show programming and to quickly boost the background
elements in mixes.   But as with all kinds of compression, if you A/B
carefully, I believe you'll hear that it lessens clarity and blurs
stereo imagery. It also "pushes out" the sound which some listeners
find fatiguing over time. Rob D.