Recorder for Bats

Subject: Recorder for Bats
From: "n58bn" n58bn
Date: Wed Aug 2, 2006 5:17 pm (PDT)
I am looking for a new recorder to use for recording bat calls. We
are currently using an iRiver IFP 799 to record the output from a
Pettersson 240x bat detector. There is a Power Point presentation of
the setup at http://www.batmanagement.com/Ordering/acoustic/iriver-
pettersson.zip This system works well but there are two problems.
The iRiver IFP 799 is no longer made and it does not record the time
and date when the file is records.

When the Pettersson 240x detects a bat it records 1.7 seconds, it
then time expands this into 17 seconds that is output to the
recorder. For the system to work the recorder needs to be "voice
activated" The recorder needs to start recording when the Pettersson
240x sends a call and stop recording when the call ends 17 seconds
later. Each 17 seconds needs to be a separate file. The recording
quality does not have to be very high. We are currently recording
Mono, 44KHz, 160Kbs, MP3 files.  Ideally it will record as a .wav
file to save having to convert the MP3 file and preserve the time
and date stamp.

I had hoped to be able to use the new Edirol R-09, but it does not
have the voice activation feature.

Can anyone suggest another recorder?

Thanks

Ralph