Re: Survey question for the group. Wild Sanctuary report

Subject: Re: Survey question for the group. Wild Sanctuary report
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Aug 2, 2006 6:11 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "Wild Sanctuary"

> Thanks, Walt. Here, (Sonoma) where the rainfall was 170% of normal
> and spring-like weather was a bit late by about two weeks, the
> biophonies were down considerably, both as to density and diversity.

It is interesting the widespread reports of this. While one might expect
a gradual decrease with the continued explosion of human population and
effects, not really a sudden drop that's so widespread. I certainly do
notice the changes on the west coast as it's a number of years between
trips. I may be out again next year if I can afford the gas.

Certainly local sudden drops occur. And I've noted how the more dense
sprawl does cause severe drop. What was my boilerplate statement for EIS
on this? Something like "this will remove virtually all natural systems
from the area and and replace them with a small amount of non-native
cultivated vegetation. Wildlife will be reduced to just a few extremely
tolerant species in small numbers." Or some such thing, been a while
since I was involved in the hopeless task of writing EIS. Only once saw
anything I wrote have a effect (the locals tossed their entire
government based on a couple things I said) but even that had no
permanent difference, what I pointed out came to pass.

This wide effect we are seeing probably has multiple causes, and many if
not most only indirectly man made if that. It's probably not even one
effect. The Biosphere is not a unchanging thing ever. What counts is
that the Biosphere as a whole can overcome just about anything,
including the human species. We can go extinct too, the rules apply to
us too. But life itself is much tougher, no matter how much we destroy
it will evolve new species when we are gone or sidelined by natural forces.

I note you folks had some warmth. Our highest temp at our house this
year was mid 90's. We are in our normal hottest time of year right now.
Off and on humidity is a bit annoying this year. Our only really off
weather is the rainfall. We are now trying to figure out a hurricane
dance, those do break the pattern and rain. It was supposed to be a high
count for them this year but so far pretty low.

> I'm drawing no conclusions from this, other than to offer that it's
> important to keep track of dynamic changes and to note them carefully
> while we're in the field. Best way to do that is to record whole
> biophonic samples while you're out there any way one can.

I would agree, the easy conclusions are probably wrong anyway. It will
become clearer over time. Or won't, as the case may be. Pay attention to
the workings of nature, always interesting. Man is dull and boring.

Best I did of general sampling on my Florida trip was one night in the
Steinhatchee River Swamp bottomland in N Florida. I was at least several
miles from the nearest paved road and that had virtually no traffic, and
it was about 15 miles to the nearest road with traffic. I was at least a
mile from anything resembling a road having followed a jeep trail that
seemed to be on old railroad fill. The GPS map was blank of any roads or
trails. I like camping in natural places where I won't be disturbed by
human activity. I set up the SASS for the night on the high tripod, but
did not record for the first time until midnight I was messing around
with camera gear and just enjoying the night in general. I recorded
again at 3 AM and in the predawn darkness around 5. The 3 AM was the
quietest site I've recorded in in some time. Still some calls, and way
off in the distance somewhere a engine running, had to be way off as it
was partially in the noise floor of the MKH and portadisc. Not sure what
it was but it ran steady all night. At 5 there was a wide variety of
callers started up. Plenty of birds, insects. This in a spot that while
officially swamp was quite dry, in a normal year I probably would have
been surrounded by water, but this year even the river itself was not
flowing. If the spot were not a state away I'd be back a lot. The price
of gas is becoming limiting so I don't get out in the field as much.