Re: Survey question for the group. Wild Sanctuary report

Subject: Re: Survey question for the group. Wild Sanctuary report
From: "Wild Sanctuary" bigchirp1
Date: Thu Aug 3, 2006 9:02 am (PDT)
Thanks for yrs, Curt.

>>  ...I'm drawing no conclusions from this, other than to offer that it's
>>  important to keep track of dynamic changes and to note them carefully
>>  while we're in the field. Best way to do that is to record whole
>>  biophonic samples while you're out there any way one can.
>
>Thank you, Bernie. I'm new to this, so I haven't made any efforts yet
>to intentionally document changes to the biophony. I'm guessing the
>best way to start would be to select one or more sites that are likely
>to remain undisturbed, and then make a point to revisit them year after
>year. I have some places in mind, but what are your thoughts on the
>types of sites that would be the highest priorities to document?
>
>I assume dawn chorus is the most revealing. How would you rank
>mid-afternoon, sundown and midnight on the scale of important times of
>day to document? And what about late summer and fall?

In equatorial to temperate zones, the dawn chorus is usually the
richest in density during spring seasons of both hemispheres. This is
typically followed by the evening (dusk) chorus, then other times in
between. They're all important signatures to become familiar with and
note any way we can. That's the only way to guage changes over the
long arc of time.

>I'm not likely to ever assemble the costly Sennheiser MKH30/40 MS rig
>that many consider to be a "standard," but I suppose carefully
>documenting the recording chain -- whatever it is -- is a reasonable
>start. Your thoughts?

Don't worry too much about the gear. Hi MDs are nearly as good as
some of the more expensive recorders. And a pair of Sony ECM55B lavs
(which we use as alternatives to the Sennheisers and which several of
us used in Alaska) work just fine (the $300.00 range each).

>Finally, Richard Lyttle's comment jumped out at me:
>
>>  I sense a weary, grouchy ( in behavior, calls ) fauna.
>
>This is amazingly reminiscent of a brief passage in the New Testament
>book of Romans which indicates that the entire natural world is in
>bondage to decay and is "groaning" under the weight of it, longing to
>be set free from it.

 From my perspective the weight on the natural world is human (fast
food'll do it). Not biblical.

Bernie