Re: DEET and alternatives

Subject: Re: DEET and alternatives
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sun Jul 2, 2006 3:18 pm (PDT)
Picaridin is a great alternative to DEET.  It was tested by the
Australian Army in north Queensland and East Timor (buggy places
indeed), and found to be as effective as DEET.  Picaridin is less
toxic to people than DEET, according to the EPA.  Picaridin is less
irritating to the skin than DEET, and it doesn't dissolve plastic the
way DEET does.  There's nothing quite as frustrating as being on a
week-long trip with eyeglass lenses that have been ruined by DEET.

I like 30% DEET in stick form because I can apply it exactly where I
want to put it (like the edges of my ears) without getting any residue
on my fingers.  I have not seen Picaridin sold in a rub-on stick, but
I would certainly buy it if I could find it.

Buzz Off is the trademark of a company that found a way to infuse
fabric with an insect repellant.  The fabric retains its full
repellant character through 25 washings.  Several companies are making
clothing with Buzz Off fabric.  Buzz Off clothing is safe for children.

The other fabric treatment is Permethrin. You apply the chemical by
spraying it onto your clothing in a well-ventilated place (like your
garage with the door open).  Let the chemical dry overnight before
wearing the clothing.  Applied properly, the bug-repelling effect is
retained by the clothing through 6 washings.

Permethrin is quite effective, but it's less safe for people than Buzz
Off because it's not bonded to the fabric of the clothing as well.

My other approach to bug repellant is to mix Citronella cream with my
sunscreen.  Its effectiveness is brief, but a bug bite or two helps
remind me to put on more sunscreen.

There are times when the best repellant strategy is overwhelmed by the
vast quantity of voracious mosquitos.  My worst experiences were in
the Everglades and Denali National Park.  That's when a head net and
gloves are required.

--oryoki