Re: DEET and alternatives (was How would you clean up this file?

Subject: Re: DEET and alternatives (was How would you clean up this file?
From: "Chuck B" cgbragg
Date: Sun Jul 2, 2006 9:18 pm (PDT)
Debbi B wrote:

>I don't know how well they work, but there are now articles of
>clothing that have insect repellent (DEET) in them (lasts for so many
>washings).

    I believe the ingredient in the clothing is *permethrin*. It repels
ticks and it *kills* mosquitoes (very soul satisfying to know that). You
can buy pre-treated clothing or buy the liquid (spray or dip) and DIY.
It's Not Safe applied to the skin, but is quite safe once it has dried
in the fabric. I've used it for years and it is quite effective. You
still have to treat your exposed skin with a repellant or put on treated
gloves and mesh headgear.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager