DEET and alternatives (was How would you clean up this file?

Subject: DEET and alternatives (was How would you clean up this file?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Jul 2, 2006 9:23 am (PDT)
At 1:23 PM +0200 7/2/06, Anton Woldhek wrote:
>  I plan on using Deet, what kind of
>contact between deet and my equipment should I be concerened about? Skin
>that has been rubed with deet for example? Sweet mixed with deet getting o=
>my 722 buttons?

Yes it spreads with sweat. Try a dab on some junk plastic and you'll
see.  I don't take any chances with that stuff.

I too prefer loose fitting cotton pants and cotton long sleeve shirt
with a cheap mosquito net that goes over my whole head wearing a
brimmed hat.  When they are swarming really bad, I put latex gloves
on my hands (a tip from Greg Rademacher).  Then _maybe_ a little non
DEET spray on my shirt sleeves, back and socks, if I have plenty of
clothing changes. Tuck your pants inside your socks for the crawling
insects.

I wear cotton gloves while I hike in the summer. My skin is very
sensitive to all kinds of plants and I find that this dramatically
reduces exposure.

There are more tips under "moisture" and "humidity" in the archives
than all of us could re-type in a week.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts