Re: DEET and alternatives

Subject: Re: DEET and alternatives
From: "Chuck B" cgbragg
Date: Mon Jul 3, 2006 4:32 pm (PDT)
oryoki2000 wrote:

>Buzz Off is the trademark of a company that found a way to infuse
>fabric with an insect repellant.  The fabric retains its full
>repellant character through 25 washings.  Several companies are making
>clothing with Buzz Off fabric.  Buzz Off clothing is safe for children.
>
>The other fabric treatment is Permethrin.

    I can't believe I am able to correct Oryoki, who knows more about
everything than any mortal should, but the ingredient in Buzz Off
clothing is permethrin. Their claim to uniqueness is, "By combining
Permethrin, a man-made version of a centuries old natural insect control
product, with a new patent pending process, *BUZZ OFF*^(TM) Insect
Shield is the smart way to protect against annoying insects including
those which may carry West Nile virus and other diseases."

> You apply the chemical by
>spraying it onto your clothing in a well-ventilated place (like your
>garage with the door open).  Let the chemical dry overnight before
>wearing the clothing.  Applied properly, the bug-repelling effect is
>retained by the clothing through 6 washings. Permethrin is quite effective,
>but it's less safe for people than Buzz Off because it's not bonded to the
>fabric of the clothing as well.

    Two points: (1) it depends on the source as to how many washings a
DIY application will last. If it's a pre-mix spray there will be a
different number than if it's a concentrate you can mix and dip with, so
read the bottle. (2) the bonding process - the question is, how bonded
is bonded? The DIY method "bonds" chemical to clothing too. It's
entirely possible that the Buzz Off patent does not change the safety or
the life of the product but only the expense of application. We don't
have the details. Their website does not claim that their clothing or
process is more safe or less safe than anyone else's. Also dry cleaning
will remove the permethrin from Buzz Off *and* from a home application,
so in that case the 'bonding' is a tie.
    I don't have a bone to pick with Buzz Off - if I were shopping for
clothes I'd take a look. But, you also want a hat and socks treated, and
maybe gloves too, so DIY is still my choice.

========
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager
Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society