[gear] Fostex FR-2LE field recorder $500

Subject: [gear] Fostex FR-2LE field recorder $500
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:14 pm (PDT)
Fostex FR-2LE, a new field recorder, available soon

At the MusikMesse trade show in Germany last April, Fostex announced a
new field recorder called the FR-2LE.  This is a smaller and cheaper
companion to the FR-2, a digital recorder introduced about 2 years ago.

The Fostex Japan web site has a couple of photos and a brief
description of the new machine:
http://www.fostex.jp/topic/musikmesse2006/musikmesse_review.htm

B&H Photo Video is the first web site I've seen to start taking
pre-production orders for the FR-2LE.  The B&H price is $499.  There's
no indication of the date when the FR-2LE will be shipped.

The new machine has many pro features at this very reasonable price.
Here's what I have been able to glean from several web sources.

Fostex FR-2LE

--compact dimensions: roughly 5" x 8" x 2.5"

--weight: unknown, I'm guessing somewhat less than 30oz, including
batteries

--2 channel audio recorder
mic inputs accept XLR and 1/4" phone plug
48V phantom power is available

--Recording controls and level meters well placed for use while the
FR-2LE hangs from your shoulder, or sits in a gear bag.

--CompactFlash memory card
FAT32 file system support, so 8GB card will work OK
A/D quantization at rates up to 24/96
recordings are saved in BWF and MP3 file formats

--Pre-roll buffer (no info on how long)

--RC3600HV rechargeable NiMH battery pack provides 8 hours of operation

--USB 2.0 port for file transfers

--Start of recording always opens a new file with unique name, so no
possibility of over-writing an existing recording

--Simple non-destructive editor lets you specify in and out points
without modifying the original recording

--limiter and auto level control functions, turned off by default

--read after write monitoring:  Allows you to play the file from the
Compactflash as you continue to record. This lets you confirm that the
recording is OK.

--Remote operation via a controller attached by wire. Unclear what
functions are available via the remote. This could be useful for
unattended monitoring.  Attention, Gene Dorcas!

The FR2 LE is designed to compete with the Marantz PMD660. The Fostex
FR2 will continue to compete with the Marantz PMD671 and Tascam HD-P2

I've read reports that the preamps in the $1300 FR-2 are quieter than
the PMD671 ($900) and HD-P2 ($1000).  It will be very interesting to
hear the quality of the preamps in the FR-2LE!  At this point, nobody
knows.

--oryoki