[gear] Fostex FR-2LE field recorder $500

Subject: [gear] Fostex FR-2LE field recorder $500
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:02 pm (PDT)
At 7:54 PM +0900 7/18/06, Mark R. wrote:
>Hi Rob,
>
>>You'd think a manufacturer would figure this out. The integrated
>>circuit with pre and ADC in the Hi-MD that we just discussed cost
>>Sony well under $6/unit (as Klas observed, long ago).
>
>As Len at Core Sound pointed out at the announcement of the M-Audio
>Microtrack, the back lighting LED screen and so many features packed so
>closely together may have seriously compromised some of the delicate
>circuits within. I understood Len's worries about the MT being one of prop=
er
>shielding of circuits coming close to the LED within it. So even an
>expensive well worked out circuit might still have this problem.

Possibly. Len is very familiar with the challenges as a recorder
designer. He was among the first to observe that squeezing a low
noise, full voltage power phantom unit into a small package is a big
design challenge. That said, with only 53dB of gain, M-Audio seems to
have chosen an inferior pre for the needs of many nature and field
recordists. If M-Audio didn't advertise the MT as a pro rig for field
recording, I'd be more willing to accept the flaws as miniaturization
compromises.

About the FR-2LE, Fostex writes, Designed specifically for location
sound recording, broadcast & sound effects acquisition, TV & radio
documentary, and in fact any application where high quality audio
recording is required,..." If by 'location," they mean "video/film
location," they list fairly robust sound sources. The preliminary
specs are out,
http://www.fostex.com/support/pdf/fostex/fr2/fr2_prelim_info.pdf  Rob
D.