RE=A0: [Nature Recordists] Re: Jammed minidisc, HHB Portadisc

Subject: RE=A0: [Nature Recordists] Re: Jammed minidisc, HHB Portadisc
From: "Laloux, Dominique"
Date: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:32 pm (PDT)
I would make the same suggestion, Marty.
Try removing entirely the metal shutter and its spring mecanism.

I never had a problem of that sort with the Portadisc, but having experienc=
ed it several times with computer diskettes (often not mine), I am particul=
arly attentive BEFORE inserting any MD in the recorder. Should I see the me=
tal shutter be only slightly more open than usual, I would not insert the d=
isk.

About HHB-UK :
I reported a couple of times on the list having a problem with my first Por=
tadisc unit : it would sometimes destroy a disk's Table of Content, making =
the first track(s) unreadable.
I had sent the unit back to HHB-UK about 2 years ago, but they had found no=
 problem...
Recently, the problem became so frequent that I decided not to use the unit=
 anymore.

Having contacted HHB-UK again a few weeks ago, they agreed to have another =
look at it. They found that the drive must have had a shock (even though th=
e unit did not show any sign of having been tampered with). They replaced t=
he drive at no cost, as if the unit was still under warranty. And that, des=
pite the fact that the warranty ended a long time ago.

I got the unit back 2 days ago, and I have not been able to test it yet int=
ensively, but I am confident...

A very responsible way to handle the problem ! I wonder how many companies =
would have done the same.
Thank you HHB !

Dominique Laloux
www.soundsnatural.be