Re: RE=A0: [Nature Recordists] Re: Jammed minidi sc, HHB Portadisc

Subject: Re: RE=A0: [Nature Recordists] Re: Jammed minidi sc, HHB Portadisc
From: "Marty Michener" enjoybirds
Date: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:18 pm (PDT)
At 03:18 PM 7/12/2006, you wrote:
>I would make the same suggestion, Marty.
>Try removing entirely the metal shutter and its spring mecanism.
>
>I never had a problem of that sort with the Portadisc, but having
>experienced it several times with computer diskettes (often not mine), I
>am particularly attentive BEFORE inserting any MD in the recorder. Should=

>I see the metal shutter be only slightly more open than usual, I would not=

>insert the disk.

I certainly shall place my specs on and look more closely from now on. I
have no clue how the spreading ever got started.  Merci, Dominique!

But I am baffled why would anyone ever design a drive, MD or computer, that=

had thin pieces of metal FACING IN at the out-coming shutter slide, so any=

slight bulge would be caught fish-hook-barb style?  Wouldn't you have your=

drive metal all oriented so as to NEVER hook anything sticking out from a
MD, but rather press it safely back in toward the disc? Isn't that common
sense?

--  best regards,  Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
http://www.enjoybirds.com/

"I am strongly induced to believe that as in music, the person who
understands every note, if he also possesses a proper taste, more
thoroughly enjoy the whole, so he who examines each part of a fine view,
may also thoroughly comprehend the full and combined effect.  Hence, a
traveler should be a botanist, for in all views plants form the chief
embellishment."  Charles Darwin, The Voyage of the Beagle