Jammed minidisc, HHB Portadisc

Subject: Jammed minidisc, HHB Portadisc
From: "Marty Michener" enjoybirds
Date: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:34 am (PDT)
After years of recording with minidiscs (MD) I met an unpleasant experience=

today, and can only thank the fates that it happened "in the lab" and not
the field! I was playing through an old disc, and I pressed <eject> which
HHB calls "Open" and the disc came out a bit as usual, but when I grabbed
it and pulled gently it would not budge any further.

I examined the disc from the open end with flashlight and specs, and I
could see the metal slider was "sprung" - wider than its normal tight
fitting form, and it was caught. Any harder pulling was obviously going to=

make it MUCH worse.

So I removed all plugs and straps and the battery pack, and removed the
screws for the TOP cover and opened it. I then saw that the top part of the=

slider had hit a piece of metal in the machine which had wrenched it up
from contact with the plastic MD. To disengage it I had to first press the=

MD almost fully back into the port, then press down on the sprung slider.

Now, the metal had widened to the extent that if I withdrew it while
preventing this engagement by gently pushing the slider top down from the
top side of the drive, THE BOTTOM part of the slider was now displaced as
well, and now caught on another piece of the machine (invisible to me),
again preventing removal! It was a kind of mechanical catch 22.

To remove the disc, I had to simultaneously:
Message: 1.