Hi-MD Input Clipping (was Sony HiMD questions

Subject: Hi-MD Input Clipping (was Sony HiMD questions
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:30 pm (PDT)
At 5:12 PM +0800 7/12/06, Graham Evans wrote:

>Not a nightmare but an experience: I have found that the AT943-SP Audio
>Technica lavaliers (sold by Sound Professionals as premium plug-in-power
>solution) do clip the Hi-MD mic pre-amp fairly easily when it is set to
>"High Sensitivity".  "Low Sens" setting solves the problem.  And when I
>say "fairly easily" I am talking about clip on mic usage when the voice
>gets raised.  Say if someone gets a bit excited in ordinary
>conversation.

The Hi-MD mic pre in Hi sens should be able to handle this level
without distortion (although ECM mics, in general, have lower SPL
maximums).

It would be interesting to compare the sound files produced. You
could recreate a known, loud-enough sound source by playing a looped
voice recording in a speaker and pointing both lavs at the speaker 9"
away. After you have determined that the voice playback is loud
enough to  cause distortion distortion to occur in the Hi sens
setting at a record level setting between 11-18, make two recordings
based on normal meter saturation*:

A) at Hi sens setting  (note record level setting- which should be under ~8=
)
B) at Low sens  (note record level setting)

*Just below the point where the final black indicator light comes on
in the LED meter.

Being able to compare the files could be telling. You can upload  the .wavs=
 to:
http://ad2004.hku.nl/index.php
nature -user
sound - pass