Hi-MD Input Clipping (was Sony HiMD questions

Subject: Hi-MD Input Clipping (was Sony HiMD questions
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:49 am (PDT)
At 9:53 AM +0000 7/13/06, stoatwizard wrote:

<snip>
>Your thunderstorm experience isn't too contrary to the Hi-MD clip
>level measurement

I'm suggesting there could be something going on _between_ using
ECM's on the surmised insufficient Hi-MD PIP and the clipping
tendencies of the High Sen position. It doesn't make sense to me
that >120dB Lighting Claps-> NT1A's (25mV/Pa)->Rolls->Hi-MD@ Hi Sens
setting would_NOT_ distort, otherwise. This "combined-effect" theory
is somewhat consistent with Curt's tests.

Curt, did you ever try the Low Sens setting with the WL183's? I forget.

<snip>

>I would suspect insufficient PiP powering for your lute recording. I
>wouldn't expect a lute to be louder than a jackhammer at 2m. Digikey
>say the WM61A has a sensitivity of -35dB, so at the jackhammer level
>of 1PA it would be putting out of the order of -37dBu, so clipping
>shouldn't have been an issue on Hi, unless you were close-miking it.

I was close micing, so ~95dB, tops.

But Graham's and my tests show that our ECM's are NOT clipping using
the Low Sens setting and this seems inconsistent with it being ONLY a
PIP under-powering issue. (Or maybe "distorting" is a better
description because we're not sure its "clipping" yet are we?)

Some variables that might be illustrative to compare are: (1) ECM on
PIP distorting using Hi Sens (2) ECM on PIP using Low Sens (3) ECM on
a 9volt battery power supply at High Sens and (4) ECM on a 9volt
battery power supply Power Supply at Low Sens.

>However, the WM61A does draw 0.5mA and wants 2V across it. It just
>wouldn't be able to get enough current from the PiP on my NH700!

True,.. but WM-61A's work okay on Low Sens and on Hi Sens when there
are no loud sounds >~95dB. Rob D.