Re: ordering gear in Australia

Subject: Re: ordering gear in Australia
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Thu Jun 1, 2006 12:57 am (PDT)

>Graham:
>I just returned to the US after spending a little over 24 months
>living in Sydney.  Now, I didn't ever order any expensive electronics
>from the US, but we did order quite a few other items (my wife,
>especially) and never had any troubles with the process whatsoever.  I
>used my Westpac Mastercard and they never charged me any conversion or
>transaction fees when purhcasing from overseas.  And none of the US
>vendors had any qualms whatsoever in charging my Mastercard, even
>though it was linked to an Aussie bank account (money is money, I
>guess...).  On occasion the box would arrive on our doorstep with an
>orange sticker applied by the Australian Customs service indicating
>that they had opened and inspected the contents (maybe they though I
>was running diamonds from South Africa or something) but nothing ever
>went missing or was damaged.
>
>Regards,
>Caesar
>(now living in Santa Fe and misssing my VBs, Tim Tams and driving on
>the left)

That is all good information thanks Ceasar.

For those in Australia so far the recomendations I have had in response
to my queries (all untested by me as yet btw) are:

johnbarry group (branches in sydney, melbourne, etc.) on the www
venuemusic on the www
Sinclair Communications (Perth) on 9271 4993
musicpark (Perth) on the www

I have got some excellent prices myself on gear from BillyHydes online.
And incredible prices on minidisc units and blank discs from
www.minidiscs.com.au (which surely everyone already knows about by now).

I have found lots of other local suppliers just by looking online but
there is a lot I just haven't been able to source in Aus.

I now want to source some Panasonic WM-61A capsules to have a play with
but so far can't find them in Aus.

Graham