Re: Sennheiser deals?

Subject: Re: Sennheiser deals?
From: "Walter Knapp"
Date: Wed May 31, 2006 2:50 pm (PDT)
From: "Chuck B"

> <snip> 99% agree with Walt about ebay, but ... If you ship something, be=

> *sure* you pay the extra pennies for Tracking. The ebay dispute process
> won't work unless you can track your shipment. Logically tracking proves=

> only that 'a package' was sent and received - it proves nothing about
> the contents or lack thereof, but if you get into a problem with the
> other guy ebay won't help you without those tracking numbers. DAMHIKT.

I've not had to use the dispute process, did not know that.  Though few
of the auctions I've had recently even had the choice of tracking or
not, it was provided as a matter of course. I prefer shipping via
priority mail, usually far cheaper than the other companies.

I once had a ebay item arrive and it was a empty package, sent via mail.
With a big hole in one end. It was a foot of 3" hex brass machining
stock, pretty heavy. It had battered it's way out of the package even
though it was packed well. Seller and I started checking from each our
ends. Luckily it had made it all the way to my PO before getting out.
When I went in to ask and described it, they knew exactly what it was.
They'd found it laying on the floor down there. BTW, my seller was going
to send me another piece if we could not locate it.

Another hint for the paranoid, use the auctions that can be paid via
paypal. Paypal will put a real hurt on someone who does not come
through. And many items paypal also "guarantees".  If they won't take
paypal I'll usually use a postal money order, the PO has some teeth for
mail fraud. Or I may use a credit card, I can have the credit card
company zap them.

Many are afraid to buy from sellers with little feedback. That is
usually not a indication of fraud. Everyone starts at zero feedback.
There are other indicators in the auction description, or you can ask
some question of the seller, as much to see how they respond as
anything. A person with low feedback can just be someone who sells
little or is new to ebay. I've gotten lots of good auction transactions
from low feedback folks. Often better deals since all the folks who are
afraid don't bid.

For a large part you get what you ask for. If you approach sellers as if
they were criminals they are not going to look kindly at you. I deal in
a honest, friendly and straightforward manner. I like to think I get
better treatment for it. I know lots of sellers who have expressed
surprise at just how pleasant the transaction has been. There are lots
of buyers treating sellers very badly.

The bottom line is nothing is 100% certain. Everything we do contains
some risk. If we take no risk at all we are not going to gain much.
Taking on reasonable risk often has a positive gain.  As buying
transactions go, Ebay seems average, or even better than other choices.
Certainly my experience.

I don't know why I'm encouraging folks to use ebay. Next thing I know
I'll loose auctions to some of you.