Re: PS-2, M-S (was smallest recording solution

Subject: Re: PS-2, M-S (was smallest recording solution
From: "cfmspencer" cfmspencer
Date: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:41 pm (PDT)
--- In  Rob Danielson <>
wrote:

> >what is the ideal pattern for the Mid mic?
>
> The only one I know of that works for the side mic is what is called
> a "figure 8."  There aren't that many choice in fig 8's mic with
> small diaphragms.  Rob D.
>

> >cheers,
> >clay

thanks Rob, for all the valuable info in your reply.

my question was, what is the ideal pattern
for the Middle mic, not the side mic.

I'm assuming an Omni is too non-directional?

I guess another way of asking this is,
what is the best companion for the MKH-30,
presumably not the 20, but probably 40, or,
gasp, the 60?

I will look at the archives now, as you suggest.

I listened to Walt's recordings today, and there was one
with the 40/30 combo with seemed to be quite a
bit noisier than the others, is that noise endemic to
the 40, or just that particular recording?

thanks so much,
clay