Re: Jecklin Disc microphones

Subject: Re: Jecklin Disc microphones
From: "Walter Knapp"
Date: Thu May 25, 2006 8:55am(PDT)
From: "Rich Peet"

> I stay on the side of not recommending Jecklin Discs for nature
> recording.  I find it ok for "near field" and marginal for "far field"
> and completely weak for "faint field". I would always choose a tree
> over the Jecklin.

To me, on top of that the Jecklin design is not the best for carting
through the brush. Not a good hand held mic and it's going to be harder
to wind protect than other designs.

So, I agree, not the most desirable for nature recording.

Note I do use another design that has similar problems going through
brush, the Telinga. The Telinga is easy to hand hold, and wind protect.
In that case there is nothing else to choose other than another
parabolic. Jecklin Disks, there is, for recording a similar soundfield.