Re: leads and apadters XLR to Himd

Subject: Re: leads and apadters XLR to Himd
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Thu May 25, 2006 1:02am(PDT)
I realise this topic is covered in volume in the archives but I am still
in a state of doubt.  The following is assuming I won't need a phantom
or plug-in-power box; Most of the mics I'm currently considering having
their own battery-power.

I AM sure about the Y lead I'll need to connect  two XLRs to the MD
stereo-mini socket (link with wiring diagram):
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/yxf-247_and_yxf-305.html
(eg. for a binnaural set up using two mono lavaliers)

For this Y adapter I can't really understand the price difference
between these hosa leads (about $15US) and the sonicstudio adapters
(D-XLR-F) at $60US.  Is this just quality of connectors/ lead/
workmanship and if so are there any views on the $ for quality equation
involved?

What I'm really not sure about is the lead to use to connect a single
mono lavalier to the MD stereo jack...
Either I should use an XLR to mono-mini plug (again with wiring diagram):
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/XVM-105M.html
Or to a stereo-mini-plug :
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/XVM-100.html

So should I wire a mono mic for both channels or just one?
Theoretically it makes no difference given that I'll be post-processing
the recording.  But are the any real-world sound quality issues
involved/ HiMD quirks I should be aware of?

And again the same $/quality issue involved on the single XLR to HiMD
plug...
thanks for any advice
Graham E.