Re: leads and apadters XLR to Himd

Subject: Re: leads and apadters XLR to Himd
From: "Allen Cobb"
Date: Thu May 25, 2006 6:17am(PDT)
Graham,

The $60 adapter (two XLR to stereo mini) is probably better, but
the Hosa is probably quite adequate. I doubt if you could
perceive a difference sonically, but perhaps the $60 one would
be more robust. SonicStudios isn't famous for being
low-priced -- Leonard is trying to make a living as a solo
operation, so everything tends to be hand-made. Hosa is the
opposite -- high volume mass production. I've used a lot of Hosa
interconnects, and most of them have been reliable. The only
real problems I've had were with their big ultra-cheap snakes. I
think their adapters are fine, especially on a budget.

The "mono into stereo" Y connector (XVM-101, 105, 115) is the
simplest way to get one mic onto both tracks. The other Y
connecor XVM-105M you referenced will probably work, but will
just record onto one channel, so it's not much use. Also, some
stereo minijacks don't work well with mono miniplugs.

You might also consider building a short adapter to go between
the XVM-100 and the recorder (stereo minijack to stereo
miniplug). I'm not sure what the best wiring would be, but if
you attenuate one channel by 10-20 dB, you would end up with two
identical channels where one is much quieter than the other.
Then you could record as hot as you dare, and always have a
quieter track to fall back on if the hot track overloads.

ac

Allen Cobb
http://timbreproductions.com