Re: effordable record device for birds

Subject: Re: effordable record device for birds
From: "stoatwizard"
Date: Fri May 26, 2006 2:01pm(PDT)
--- In  "Koen Verbanck"
> A few months ago I posted a similar question, but so far all solutions
> are still a bit to expensive. The greatest cost is not the record-
device
> itself (like
> f.e. a Hi-MD minidisk), but more so the microphone (f.e. Sennheiser).
> Any help still greatly appreciated.

That's still the case. And is likely to remain so for the foreseeable
future :( Advances in electronics will make recorders
cheaper/better/lighter but mics seem to be mainly materials and
precision mechanics which seems to stay expensive for high performance

For general birding a Hi-MD plus a shotgun mic is okay if you are
withing binocular range of the bird. At the bottom end a Sennheiser
MKE300 with windsock , midrange ME66 , high end MKH series. Plus wind-
protection which can increase the cost about the same as the mic.