Re: Capsules in parallel was; DIY Parabolics

Subject: Re: Capsules in parallel was; DIY Parabolics
From: "Rich Peet"
Date: Fri May 26, 2006 2:27pm(PDT)
> Yes, the use of three paralled capsule vertical line array was an
> attempt to decrease self noise of the extremely cheap capsules and,
> hopefully, at the same time increase sesitivity.
>
> I had read that this might be acheived in this way.  As I still had 9
> capsules available from the 20 I originally purchased I decided to
> give it a try for the Jecklin disc and the parabolic under construction.
>
> It was a mistake.  The parallelled triplets have a much lower
> sensitivity than a single capsule.  I therefore reverted to single
> capsules for these two DIY projects.

Sounds like you might have to blame the sensitivity problem on
"cockpit error".  I have found an increase in sensitivity, decrease in
noise, and a more matched pair of channels by using a linear array of
three capsules.  The telinga also uses an array of capsules which I
assume is for the same reason.

Rich