Re: effordable record device for birds

Subject: Re: effordable record device for birds
From: "oryoki2000"
Date: Fri May 26, 2006 5:23pm(PDT)
"Koen Verbanck" <> wrote:

>I am looking for a sound-recording device...
> - light weight and small
> - long record time...many hours
> - not too fragile
> - the recordings should be easily stored on a computer
> - within a reasonable budget

The cheapest solution I can think of is an iRiver H120.  The
H120 is about the size and shape of an early iPod.  The H120
has a 20GB hard drive.  The similar H140 has a 40GB drive.

The H120 is a discontinued model, but completely new units
(not refurbished) can be easily found on eBay for about $125
plus shipping.  One source I have used is http://stores.ebay.com/OutletMP3

To record continuously for hours, install the free Rockbox
software for H120.  Rockbox enables the built-in H120 battery
to last for 5 to 6 hours of WAV recording.  If you're recording
MP3, the battery will last longer because it's writing much
less data per hour.

If longer recording times are desired, you can swap out the
H120 battery for an iPod battery that lets you record WAV files
for 12 or 13 hours before a recharge is needed. There are
detailed instructions for the battery swap here
http://www.pdainternalbattery.com/iriverinstall.html

If still longer recording times are needed, the H120 has will
run from an external 5V DC power source.

A company in the U.K. sells a simple H120 external battery
pack with four AA cells. Note that power supplies designed
for the H320 will not work.  The H120 has a smaller diameter
power plug.
www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk

Rockbox supports file size up to 2GB.  When this limit
approaches, you can configure the software to automatically
save the current file, open a new file, and continue to record.
No sound data is lost during this process.

Rockbox can record in WAV, MP3 and several other file
formats.  Transfer your recordings to a PC using the H120's
USB port.

So why isn't everyone using the H120?  First, the H120's
preamps are good, but not the greatest.  If high quality
sound recording is your goal, then consider a Hi-MD recorder
like the Sony MZ-NH700 (an inexpensive, discontinued model).
In Sweden, Klas Strandberg has a supply of NH700s.  Contact
Klas at

Second, the H120's buttons and controls are not particularly
durable.  I think a Hi-MD recorder would last longer.

Third, you need to have comfort with computers to install
the Rockbox software.  To their credit, the Rockbox developers
release bug fixes and upgrades on a regular basis.  This
means a little more maintenance on your part, however.  No
big deal for a computer hobbyist, but it might prove to be
a bit daunting for someone just wants to use the darn thing.

--oryoki