Re: Babbling Brook or runny toilet?!?

Subject: Re: Babbling Brook or runny toilet?!?
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Wed May 31, 2006 6:53 am (PDT)
>  Graham: Regarding the Rode NT4...it is extremely sensitive to air
>  currents. Even a very slight breeze will affect it, and the little
>  black foam windscreen that comes with it doesn't help one iota. I
>  had to wait a long time for the breeze to die down, and even
>  constructed a little wind break around the back of it with a small
>  blanket to get this recording. I'm sure that other condeser mics
>  have the same problem, but this is the only mic I own and the only
>  one I've taken into the field, so I can't say for sure. I'm trying
>  to figure out who makes a proper wind shield for this mic that will
>  fit over the unconventionally-shaped mic head. That's going to be my
>  editing out all the little wind distortions. Regards, Caesar

Hi Caesar

I have spent some time lately looking for such a wind solution for the
NT4 myself.  I am guessing you just need either a good size Rycote
zepellin (very expensive), sized by measuring across the maximum
diameter where the two mics emerge.  Or the equivalent zeppelin in an
imitation-Rycote brand (there's a few I came across which are all
slightly cheaper), and then there is the DPA Windpac (a kind of
collapsable shock mount/wind solution that is water resistant).  The
Windpac is quite large compared to the NT4 .

But Rob D. from this list has pretty-much convinced me (and now I have
the parts) to make up my own shockmount/ windshield.  As soon as my NT4
arrives I will do this.  Mine will basically be a replica of some photos
Rob has supplied of those built by his students.

I found a glove/washmit at the hardware store which should fit over the
shockmount I will build.  Happily it is a symetrical glove with no
thumb.  Not so great it has big purple stars on an orange background
printed on it.  The shockmount wil be a 90mm pvc pipe hacksawed into a
frame with grooves cut for elastic band mounts.  I will use gutter cover
mesh to form the dead-air shape and drill a hole in the bottom to allow
for a mount bolt to poke through.  And I will use a removable nut and
washer.  I will also make a little handle to fit on.  Not quite sure how
to make the gutter cover mount and unmount to the pvc pipe but I have
some ideas to work with there.

I'm sure it won't cope with too much wind but the glove is fake fur and
I'm hoping with the basic NT4 foam cover and - perhaps a cottom sock -
it will be okay in a light breeze.

I will post a photo (and sound clips) once I'm done.

Graham