Re: Stereo Patterns

Subject: Re: Stereo Patterns
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:49:17 -0500
>--- In  Rob Danielson wrote:
>
>  > Can you think of a way to measure the percentage of the sonic energy
>  > in your recording that is below 700Hz?

To get a rough idea of the low/high ratio on your sample #1, I used
(3 each) high pass and low pass filters to cumulatively cross- over
at 700Hz. The signal above 700Hz measured about 14dB less than that
below 700hz or about 19dB less accounting for the Munson loudness
curve by ear. The largest off-axis (rear) rejection of the NT2000 in
cardioid is about -25dB at 1000Hz so with this mic, one should be
able to detect a different stereo image formed by the lowest
frequencies between cardioid and omni settings.  However, the NT1A's
wide-cardioid pattern has maximum rejection of less than -10dB at
700Hz and the rejection area is considerably smaller. The low Hz
imaging differences between an typical omni pattern mic and this wide
cardioid is likely to be considerably less dramatic. Rob D.