RE: Re: recorder repair

Subject: RE: Re: recorder repair
From: "Gene Dorcas" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:20:46 -0500
I'm going to make a couple of them out of a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo extension
cable available from RadioShack. It probably won't be the best quality but
I'm leaving tomorrow for a trip to central Texas where I'll need them. I
will simply cut the cable a couple of inches from each end and splice.

I will be trying out a DIY stereo parabolic using 2 EM-158s. These are smal=
ECMs with unusually good sensitivity and noise for its small size. Klas
tried them out a few months ago but they're hard to handle because they are
easily damaged from the heat while soldering leads. I purchased 100 of them
from Primo (minimum order) with leads already attached. Their sensitivity i=
spec'd at -32 dB at 1 kHz (0 dB at 1v/Pa) and a SNR of 75db at 1 kHz (1Pa, =
weighted). The specs are similar to my WL-183s but because of their small
size the bass rolls off at a higher freq. This bass roll-off may be helpful
in some situations but I will be trying to record bull frogs and wish I had
some mics with good bass response.

My other equipment includes RH-10 & NH900 recorders and shoulder mount 183s
and ME66/K6.

Here's an unusual recording of a pair of hawks, one chasing the other. Mayb=
someone can help identify them. The sky was so bright I couldn't make out
the coloring so I couldn't identify them. Maybe someone will recognize them
on this recording. We have Red-tailed, Red-shouldered and Coopers around
here. It's a poor recording because of the background noise from DFW airpor=
and the freeway. Its also poor because when I heard them while sitting here
in my home office the only mic close-by at the time was a ECM-908c off my D=
camera. Sony says the self-noise of this mic is about 25dB.

http://www.frogloggers.com/Recordings/Hawk.wav

On my trip I will focus on recording frogs. My son has finished his 4th boo=
-  this one on frogs. He wanted me to try to get him some more good
recordings for the CD that will come with the book. I think he has talked t=
Walt about providing some recordings.

I apologize for my verbosity. I have learned so much from this group and
want to thank everyone for being so generous with info on equipment and
recording techniques.

Gene
www.frogloggers.com