Re: SP-Gigatracker self-noise

Subject: Re: SP-Gigatracker self-noise
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:43:09 -0000
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Have you ever thought about what mic-pre-array performance
> characteristic plays the largest role in spatial imaging with your
> cube set-up?  Rob D.

Yes but;

It seems I am not able to design on the basis of what is working best.
 Almost all my design work seems to center around the concept of
elimination of the weakest link.  Many a complete design ends up
getting junked by this process.

This week I replaced mic cables and placed a new ground cable between
the mic pre and the laptop.

If I am to speculate about what plays the biggest roles of the cube to
supply a good spatial image? Then I will guess it would be the ability
to have a mic that supplies time of arrival info with amplitude
differences that extend to very low frequencies.=20

On the "play files" post I recently made to this group I used a sound
segment that included a Grouse drumming as well as a distant highway.
 It is interesting how you can determine the direction of that grouse
as well as the highway and tractor. Still, as expected the higher
pitched river sounds and birds are more channel separated yet.

Rich Peet