RE: Recorder input noise testing

Subject: RE: Recorder input noise testing
From: "Bruce Wilson" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:03:37 -0600
Richard M.'s tests were done better than mine; he used a blocking
capacitor for the minidisk test and I didn't, and he used a -42 dB
voltage divider for his input while I injected directly (though I should
have used the divider).

He got -116 dBu EIN for the "28" level setting, while I got -110 dBu for
"30". I guess they match, but I don't know the gain difference between
"28" and "30". From the
http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/himd/himdpklevels_meas.html it
looks like 4 dB, so his "30" setting noise should be -112 dBu. Pretty
close, but believe his before believing mine.

He also got a 20 dB difference between the Hi-mic and lo-mic sensitivity
settings. I got 16 dB. Go with his number.

By the way, his 700 model is identical to my 800 model (the 800 comes
with an in-line tuner). Nice little units, those MDs. Richard properly
points out they can't handle loud inputs as well as the big recorders,
but otherwise they are pretty good. What he needs is a test of the
anechoic mic input (not signal generator) so we can compare the no-input
baseline with the mic-input baseline and see how different they are. I
suspect the mic noise will not be flat, but will be just slightly higher
than the no-input curve all the way across. I'll try to do something
like that with my NT2000's.

I'm looking forward to playing with RightMark audio analyzer.

Thanks for the link, Chris!

Bruce Wilson
http://wilson.dynu.net