SP-Gigatracker self-noise

Subject: SP-Gigatracker self-noise
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:47:17 -0500
At 1:04 AM +0000 4/21/06, Rich Peet wrote:
>This is one thing that is worth hearing at the campouut. Rob has a
>recording chain that is the lowest noise in the biz.

Ha! In the QuickTime movie tests, one can hear that the HiMD pre is
still a good deal noisier than the 722's

As for the discovery (;-)),  some may recall it goes back to me
claiming that I could hear pre noise from my Sharp MD recorder's mic
pre when using a Rode NT-4. Dan and Klas said this didn't make sense
to them. In an attempt to save face, I did the obvious and used a
phantom supply to power very low noise mics (Rode NT1-A's) and
conduct "listen for yourself," tests on some consumer mic pres, HiMD
among them. I would have never guessed the outcome as I was sort of
hopeful of proving the opposite!

>I am happy with what I am doing but I suspect the day will not come
>where I can compete head on with Robs low noise systems. I will be
>content to compete on a reproduced image.

Have you ever thought about what mic-pre-array performance
characteristic plays the largest role in spatial imaging with your
cube set-up?  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department