RE: Re: SP-Gigatracker self-noise

Subject: RE: Re: SP-Gigatracker self-noise
From: "Bruce Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:59:14 -0600
"Twice as loud" =3D 6 dB. So the Gigatracker noise is 2.67*6 dB louder, or
2^2.67 =3D 6.3 times louder noise than the 722.

They report a 115 dBu EIN without saying which gain setting was used. If
they used maximum gain (the +50 dB range) then -115 dBu is reasonable
provided they used one of the ultra-low-noise op-amps for the first mic
gain stage. The total gain of +50 dB isn't so hot, however, as that's in
the same range as the ENG decks (for comparison, the 722 had +70 dB
gain, and the minidisks have +75 dB gain at high sensitivity setting).
The unit looks more like a concert recording rig than a nature recorder.

Bruce Wilson
http://wilson.dynu.net