Re: Re: Mid-side techinique with studio mics

Subject: Re: Re: Mid-side techinique with studio mics
From: Derek Holzer <>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:07:57 +0200
Hi Bruce,

Bruce Wilson wrote:

> I'm using a 722, but haven't decided (and won't until I get a good MS
> signal) if I want to decode in the recorder or keep the M and S tracks
> (listening to the decoded LR signals in the phones) and decode later in
> Audition. Suggestions?

The 722 will let you monitor in M/S but record as A/B (A=mid mic, B=side
mic). Best practice would be to record A/B and do the M/S matrixing in
software later on. "Manually", this would mean loading the B track into
two different channels and inverting the phase of one.   Or you could
use a plugin. Doing the matrixing in post gives you the most
flexibility, as you can decide the stereo width during mixdown by
raising or lowering the Side channels. It's a lot easier to figure out
in the studio with proper monitors than in the field with headphones.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl