Re: Desiccant & Schoeps

Subject: Re: Desiccant & Schoeps
From: "Greg Weddig" <>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:13:58 -0000
Hi Tim,
I'm a Schoeps owner and though I have not had them in the rainforest
I've had them in some pretty foggy and humid enviroments.  My
experience is they may crackle and sputter for a few minutes but
eventually it goes away.  Whether that is a matter of the mic "warming
up" when the sun rises or not I can't tell you.  I usually notice it
fist thing in the morning, when moving the mic from a car or hotel
room to an outdoor enviroment.
I would agree with Rob, if I was planning a trip that hinged on
recording, in a humid enviroment, I would have backup available.
I would imagine, in a zepplin, the dessicant would pull humidity out
of the air and not out of the mic, unless it were in an airtight
enviroment.
If you want to experiment put the mics in your enclosed bathroom
during a shower and see what happens (though not in the shower!)

Good luck,

--greg weddig
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/627