Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...

Subject: Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 23:35:05 -0500
Laying front-address omni mics sideways along a boundary yields a very
different result than integrating them into a boundary plane. I've
never plotted it, but there seems to be a subtle (and very pleasant)
high-end lift. As Rob says, I don't think the wood itself is likely to
generate its own resonance, at least not in places I expect to be
recording.

My mics are currently direct coupled to the boundaries with nylon tie
wraps and no padding. I've tinkered with different types of suspension
systems, but I haven't yet come up with anything that's simple enough
and rugged enough to satisfy me, so for now I'm stuck dealing with the
problems of direct coupling. That's one big reason I prefer omnis --
they transmit far less mechanical noise.

Curt Olson