Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...

Subject: Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:19:36 -0500
Rob Danielson wrote:

> I have a project going and I'll enjoy studying your test results
> closer, later. A couple of quick impressions and questions:
>
> The sense of space created is provocative with an appealing horizontal
> feel. It sounds a bit like what I trying to describe as "two field
> comparison" without losing the ability to localize sounds in the
> middle. When I EQ'd the files a bit, diminishing the pronounced,
> steady tones from ~80Hz to 1300 Hz, considerably more  detail became
> evident in the center which I found interesting.

I hadn't gotten around to playing with EQ in that way, so I appreciate
your observations. That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

> I also noticed differences in frequency response in both mic pairs
> that, if addressed, seemed to improve transparency.

Are you talking here about differences between left and right mics in
the same rig -- as in getting the two to "match" better?

> Many of variables are involved in recording to maximize the
> impressions of space.! :-)

Mics and mounting rigs are probably the biggest, and for me right now,
they're the most interesting.

> re:
> http://www.trackseventeen.com/images/mic_arrays/3032_183.html
> Quite a deviation in your array/boundary mount?!  Are the planes
> parallel?  Is that about a one foot separation?

After some listening tests, I decided on parallel planes with the outer
surfaces 6.5 inches apart. Capsules are set back from the leading edge
to achieve reasonably accurate sound source vectoring as rendered by my
Sony Hi-MD recorder and MDR-7505 headphones, my current standard. (I'm
guessing other recorder/headphone combinations would give slightly
different renderings.)

My previous boundary mounts seem to give a nice stereo image and good
mono, but they fail to deliver a certain intangible "something" I'm
beginning to want in my field recordings -- a certain kind of "space"
or "transparency." This rig seems to get me closer to what I'm looking
for -- at least for now.

> Thanks for the test! Great to be able to compare the same moments.
> Both 44.1K/16 uncompressed I assume? Rob D.

HI-MD.

Curt Olson