Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...

Subject: Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 22:20:56 -0600
At 7:19 PM -0500 4/2/06, Curt Olson wrote:

>>  I also noticed differences in frequency response in both mic pairs
>>  that, if addressed, seemed to improve transparency.
>
>Are you talking here about differences between left and right mics in
>the same rig -- as in getting the two to "match" better?

Between 183<->183  and  3031<->3032.  There's less difference between
your 183 pair and my pair.  Is that a freeway off to the left? The
associated airy-ness from the left side made differences in the
900-2200Hz range with the 3032's hard to judge.  They seem pretty
well matched below ~300Hz with only few bumps between there
300-900Hz. I can definitely hear the increased noise of the 183's.

Eric's "3032" is proving to be quite a discovery.  I tried a pair of
Studio Project C-4's last weekend. I've yet to study the results, but
the frequency response didn't seem to be very flat using either the
cardioid or omni caps. They did survive a couple of nights of
considerable humidity and cold. The factory shock mounts seem too
stiff for outdoor work and might not be long enough/provide enough
cradle to install more flexible cord.

>After some listening tests, I decided on parallel planes with the outer
>surfaces 6.5 inches apart. Capsules are set back from the leading edge
>to achieve reasonably accurate sound source vectoring as rendered by my
>Sony Hi-MD recorder and MDR-7505 headphones,

Only 6.5",.. interesting. So you strap the mics directly against the
wood? Seems like that would be prone to mechanical transmission of
any force impacting the wood and stand.

I monitored with 3-way speakers at 120 degrees.

>My previous boundary mounts seem to give a nice stereo image and good
>mono, but they fail to deliver a certain intangible "something" I'm
>beginning to want in my field recordings -- a certain kind of "space"
>or "transparency." This rig seems to get me closer to what I'm looking
>for -- at least for now.

The 3032's file "cleaned-up" quite a bit better than the 183's.
Thanks again for the test! Rob D.