Re: Strange results with mkh 20?

Subject: Re: Strange results with mkh 20?
From: "Romilly Hambling" <>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 23:46:16 -0000
Thanks, Eric. My feeling too. Just plain buggered (that's how we say
it over here). Re Bernie's comments, what I didn't say was that sounds
picked up from *anywhere* in the room - from any direction and any
distance, like paper rustling or me talking some way behind one of the
mics - sounded equally distorted. I don't think there is a sweet spot
to be found! And why should the 3032s work so well in exactly the same
positions? But I'll follow up what Bernie says with some further tests
(XY, different locations etc) next week, though won't burden NR with
the results unless to report that they suddenly go sweet.

The hire price was extremely reasonable and the people are nice. I'll
just suggest they could think about testing (and replacing) the mics!

Schoeps - you tempt me. But as I think you know, we're using TLM 103s
as the recording mics and we love them. Again, the 3032s are almost
indistinguishable from these (very subtle, almost undetectable
differences apart from the omni effect). They're just nice mics.
Recorded with either the singer's speaking voice is almost uncannily
real. Piano's good too - especially nice full sound in lower registers
with 3032s.

Oh, and btw, the whole point of these tests is to find good mics to
use outdoors. I find the instrumental/voice material, and the dynamic
range, just very revealing of what a mic can (and can't) do.

romillyh

--- In  "Eric Benjamin" <>
wrote:

> "Romilly Hambling" wrote
> > our recording sessions with a
> > a hired pair of Sennheiser mkh 20s (omnis)
> > and am totally baffled by the poor quality.
>
> Romilly,
>
> Without having the mics at hand for instrumented testing, I can only
say
> that it sounds to me as though the mikes are busted (that's American
for
> "don't work properly").  I would take them back to the hire shop and
demand
> my money back.  Then use the AT3032s.
>
> In a side-by-side simultaneous recording with two Schoeps MK2s, we
found the
> AT3032s to be nearly indistinguishable from the Schoeps.  The
Schoeps was