Re: Reading defective CDs

Subject: Re: Reading defective CDs
From: derek holzer <>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:40:06 -0800
Or try CDParanoia for Linux or OSX. I think it installs from Fink or
DarwinPorts on OSX:

http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

And it will give you as much or as little paranoia about the data
copying process as you like. Also audio CDs only.

If the media itself is screwed up, there isn't much you can do except
look for drives with better error correction. No software in the world
can unscratch your discs, and no software in the world can make cheap
hardware work like higher quality hardware.

Some data recovery software will return data in blocks rather than as
complete files, so you might look into that.

Lastly,. I'd suggest trying to open up your WAV files as RAW instead.
That way any header information (including the anticipated length of the
file) will be  ignored and you can see exactly what's left of your WAV
file. Then resave to your HD as your format of choice. Audacity supports
opening RAW files, as does CoolEdit IIRC.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 48: