Re: Life of DVD players

Subject: Re: Life of DVD players
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:02:18 -0600
Rich--
Oh, surround. Compare playing stereo audio through your laptop
speaker jack and then through your RME interface-- that's extreme,
but it'll give you and idea of the audible difference. I paid ~$300
each for DVD decks (Sony NC650V) with analog 5.1 outputs which sound
passable- nothing to go wild about. I tried 3 receivers in the
$600-$1000 range and found that 3- $200 stereo reference monitor amps
taking DVD analog sounded fuller and matched my mixing set-up better.
One receiver I tried would not allow cinema surround processing to be
shut off, which was rather depressing. Home Video Surround is rife
with conveniences that can make, non processed, 5.1 audio playback a
challenge. I'm not sure who makes DVD decks with 5.1 analog outs
these days. Result: I drag my audio card around when ever I possibly
can.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department