Re: Outboard A/D Conversion

Subject: Re: Outboard A/D Conversion
From: "Aaron Ximm" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:11:56 -0800
> I should probably have mentioned that I am seriously tight, lol! I
> hate spending money unnecessarily, but ofcourse, sometimes you just
> have to cough up a little. I fear this might be one of those times...

The conventional wisdom would be that the A/D is such a minor
component of the overall quality (after subject, skill, & luck; mics;
pres; and bit depth and maybe high resolution) that if you want every
penny to count you'd be better off working on the rest of the chain.

For one thing, lugging around power for a that-much-slightly-better
convertor, the box itself, and its cabling offers more opportunities
for mishap I think than the payoff.

A similar concern made me think using a Lunatec *on top of* a 722 just
didn't make so much sense unless I have a (big!) pile of money  that
wants burning. *Maybe* a smidgen cleaner. But the former won't take
internal batteries and weights quite a bit itself. So add a pile of
calories to the  money! :)

 best,
  aaron

--