Re: Sound Devices 722 field report

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 722 field report
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:22:55 -0600
At 2:46 PM +0000 3/5/06, oryoki2000 wrote:
>  > Over on the ramps newsgroup, Eric Burge has posted his experience
>>  with a 744t in very challenging conditions.=A0
>
>Wow! Skiing with a 744T in a blizzard with sub-freezing temperatures!
>  I'm surprized that his kit lasted 3 days before dying.=A0
>
>The hard discs I'm familiar with have a minimum temperature rating of
>5C/40F.  Eric Burge mentions the heat generated by the 744T while
>turned on melted the snow that blew into his equipment bag, soaking
>everything.  Maybe this heat created a micro-climate that raised the
>hard disc's temperature enough that it kept working despite the low
>ambient temp.
>
>--oryoki

This scenario sounds probable. The 744T generates
a terrific amount of heat that one must account
for basically all the time. Below 20 degrees,
I've found its safe to enclose within two layers
of ripstop nylon material or similar-- but never
in any air-tight bag or even surrounded with
insulation unless there's still breathing.  At 40
degrees, I leave the zipper, on top, open half
way. When the ambient air is very hot, humid and
its raining, foggy, etc,.  I arrange an
umbrella-like set-up to keep the water off of it
and let the case breath fully. It will still get
quite hot but keep recording. I've foolishly let
mine get so hot it was scary, but it still laid
down tracks-- just very unwise to "cook" the
components as the operation manual warns.  Rob D.