Re: Cheap recorder, it works

Subject: Re: Cheap recorder, it works
From: "tmerk1997" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:27:01 -0000
Klas' comments mirror my experience.  I've used the iRiver iFP-899 (1
GB flash memory) for about a year mostly for recording an African hand
drum class.  I plug in Sound Professional SP-CMC-4 (AT853 capsules)
stereo mics.  The main reason I bought the iFP is because of its 7+
hour recording capacity (medium-wise; I don't know if the 1 AA battery
would power it that long).

External Mic level settings I use (the range is 0-64):

32-34 - for drum class (gets to 100 dB loud)

   40 - wife's 4-piece light rock band in living room

   52 - recording AES presentations at Dolby in
        San Francisco  (i.e., one person talking)

The sound isn't as crisp as what I get using my Sony MZ-R910 MiniDisc
recorder (I set the iFP to 44.1 khz/MP3 320 kbps/stereo).

Now that I have the Sony MZ-RH10 (thanks for all your reviews!), I'll
relegate the iFP to generic, impromptu recording.

- Tom  (long time lurker; 1st post)